Friday, March 21, 2014

St. Dainius (The Quad)

So here the deal- I wanted to try to make a Belgium quad (similar to Westvletern 12). I used a super easy recipe and 4 pds of candi Syrup (2 pds of Dark and 2 pds of amber). I figured if the monks made their syrup so should I- the method I used was a little DME and base (slacking Lime)added to the sugar. http://suigenerisbrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/09/making-belgian-candi-sugar.html I did modify the method a little- I dislike the hard candy. So once I got the temp back down to 290F I SLOWLY added 1 Cup of water and transferred the candi syrup to two preheated mason jars. The amber came out very fruity- I got lots of cherry, plum, flowery, stone fruits. The Dark about 75 SRM- gave lots of toasted marshmallow, coffee and some chocolate. Tasting the wort (1.089 SG)was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment